CLASS SESSION #11 – THURSDAY, JUNE 18, 2020
Presenter: Dr. Oscar Owens
In previous sessions of this series, Dr. Oscar Owens presented two ways of interacting with Scripture. On April 30, 2020 (session 4), he introduced the class to the beauty of Scripture meditation. On May 28, 2020 (session 8), he stressed the wonderful benefit of praying Scripture. In this post we will explore a powerful spiritual discipline that combines these two practices. This spiritual discipline is called Lectio Divina (Godly Reading).
Session 11 of “Healthy Habits of the Christian Life”
This video contains the entire Zoom Class from June 18, 2020. It consists of the following parts:
1. Welcome and Opening Remarks
2. “The Spiritual Discipline of Godly Reading” Video Presentation by Dr. Oscar Owens
3. Conversation on Video Presentation by the Three Bible Teachers
4. Zoom Class Discussion
5. Class Assignment, Conclusion, and Closing Prayer
6. Post-class Testimonies, Discussion, and Prayer
Video Presentation on Godly Reading
In this video, Dr. Owens introduces the spiritual discipline of Godly Reading. This presentation also can be seen in the longer video above.
– Find a favorite Scripture and use it for Godly Reading all week.
– If the Holy Spirit leads you to another Scripture, then follow where He leads you.
– Then take that Scripture through the process of Godly Reading.
– Write down the revelations the Lord shows you.
– Write down your responses to the Lord’s written words.
– Write down what the Holy Spirit speaks to your heart and mind.
– Write down what you received from the Lord as you worshiped Him.
– Write down what you decided to do in response to God and His Word.
Link to: PowerPoint Presentation by Dr. Oscar Owens
Link to: Class Session 4 on Scripture Meditation
Link to: Class Session 8 on Praying Scripture
Link to: Chart of 52 Disciplines
Link to: Website for Dr. Oscar Owens